- Lead Instructor: Clifton Guterman
- DATES: JULY 8th
- TIME: 10am–3pm
- AGES: 12-16
- INVESTMENT: $225
CONQUERING THE CONTRASTING TAKE
Often, actors receive an audition invitation with taping instructions requesting “two contrasting takes” of a side. What does it mean, how does an actor achieve it, and what is truly contrasting to casting offices and directors? This deep dive will answer those questions and enable actors to conquer the skill-testing assignment and much more!
Over the course of 5 hours, actors will work with Big Picture’s resident head of film and TV, Clifton Guterman, CSA, as follows.
- Actors will choose a real-world audition side – options provided – several days in advance and will be required to self tape two contrasting takes.
- Actors will self-tape two contrasting takes/tapes of their chosen side and submit them to Catapult no later than 24 hours before the workshop.
- Actors’ tapes will be watched in session with the instructor’s feedback after each set of scenes to evaluate actual contrast.
- On camera, the instructor will walk each actor through options for clearer, cleaner contrast, and tapes will be replayed in session for commentary and critique.
- Short, cold read scripts will be distributed in session, and actors will be given a brief amount of time to make choices before returning, one-by-one, to the session for taping. Tapes will be reviewed in session, and each actor will be offered quick adjustments with contrasting actions to execute for the group.
- Industry Q&A
*Please note: Scene Material for the workshop will be available and sent to the actor ONE WEEK (1) before the workshop start date. Tapes for the workshop are due no later than 24 hours prior to the start of the workshop.
Click the button below to claim your spot!
meet Your instructorS
Clifton GutermanCasting Director
Clifton is an Atlanta casting director, director, teacher and the head of the film and TV division of Big Picture Casting, where he casts union and non-union film, tv, and animation. A member of Casting Society of America, he has cast over 100 professional plays and musicals in metro Atlanta over a (thus far) twenty year career. Clifton formerly served as the Alliance Theatre’s Artistic Assistant, as Casting Director and Producer in Residence at Actor’s Express, and as Associate Artistic Director of Theatrical Outfit. Clifton also sits on the Advisory Committee for The Georgia High School Musical Theatre Awards (The Shulers) and is an Arts Leaders of Metro Atlanta alumnus. Clifton has directed locally with Alliance Theatre, The Atlanta Opera, Theatrical Outfit, and Jennie T. Anderson Theatre. As a former actor, Clifton appeared Off-Broadway, at many top regional theatres, and on numerous local stages. He can be seen in several Atlanta-filmed movies, TV shows and commercials. Clifton holds a BA in Drama from the University of Georgia and an MFA in Performing Arts from the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Catapult Acting, LLC has a 24 hour grace period in which clients can cancel their registration and receive a full refund. After 24 hours, a 10% cancellation fee will apply to all registrations. If the client chooses to cancel 15-21 days before the event, a 50% refund will be issued. If the registration is cancelled within 14 days of the event, 100% of the payment will be forfeited. PLEASE NOTE: There are no refunds for missed, dropped or cancelled classes, events, or camps; should your schedule change once registered and within the cancellation policy.